From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] viewing consoles remotely
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 21:50:28
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Ryan Tandy [mailto:tarpman@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:58 PM
4 >
5 > For your situation, assuming I've interpreted it correctly,
6 > you should
7 > get the user to SSH into your box, set their shell in /etc/passwd to
8 > /usr/bin/screen -S (something memorable) /bin/bash, and yourself run
9 > sudo screen -x (something memorable) to view it.
10
11 I tried this suggestion, but it didn't work. I couldn't login. :(
12
13 I would LOVE to make screen (and BASH) my default shell. I'm always ssh'ing
14 into my servers and getting upset if the connection goes down between me and
15 them, or I start an emerge and then forgot that I can't actually shut down
16 my host computer as that will kill the ssh and therefore the emerge.
17
18 I want screen to start up automatically as my default shell (as bash, with
19 all my .bashrc settings, etc) whenever I connect either via console or ssh.
20 I also would like to automatically re-attach to that screen whenever I login
21 again.
22
23 Is this possible? And if so, what do I need to put in /etc/password or
24 wherever. I could put it in a .bash* file, but that seems hackish (given the
25 idea in Ryan's quote above).
26
27 DÆVID
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list