From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting an exernal usb drive from grub
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:49:55
1 On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 16:38 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Michael Sullivan<msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > My server box died last week, and, as it was about ten years old, I
4 > > decided to replace it. My wife and I opened the case and removed the
5 > > hard drive (A major undertaking for us, I might add). We hooked the old
6 > > hard drive up to a hard drive enclosure and plugged it via USB into a
7 > > new computer we bought this morning. This new computer runs Windows
8 > > Vista and only Windows Vista. I want to run Gentoo Linux on the
9 > > enclosure. I have to keep Windows on it because all the computer repair
10 > > shoppes around here only know Windows, and will be confused if I take it
11 > > in to be repaired and it isn't running Windows. I planned to install
12 > > grub on the main internal hard drive and use that to boot to the USB
13 > > drive. I checked the BIOS, and there's no option to boot to USB. I've
14 > > spent a couple of hours today googling this question, but all I can seem
15 > > to find is how to do this from a linux partition other than the one on
16 > > the USB drive. Is this even possible, and if so, how would I do it?
17 >
18 > It seems surprising that such a new computer wouldn't let you boot
19 > from USB. Usually in the boot order section of BIOS one of those
20 > choices will be "removable disk" or "external device" or something
21 > like that. That will typically boot your USB disk.
24 Nope. The only things it has are floppy boot (It doesn't even have a
25 floppy drive!), cd boot, and hdd boot...