From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting an exernal usb drive from grub
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:38:36
1 On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Michael Sullivan<msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My server box died last week, and, as it was about ten years old, I
3 > decided to replace it. My wife and I opened the case and removed the
4 > hard drive (A major undertaking for us, I might add). We hooked the old
5 > hard drive up to a hard drive enclosure and plugged it via USB into a
6 > new computer we bought this morning. This new computer runs Windows
7 > Vista and only Windows Vista. I want to run Gentoo Linux on the
8 > enclosure. I have to keep Windows on it because all the computer repair
9 > shoppes around here only know Windows, and will be confused if I take it
10 > in to be repaired and it isn't running Windows. I planned to install
11 > grub on the main internal hard drive and use that to boot to the USB
12 > drive. I checked the BIOS, and there's no option to boot to USB. I've
13 > spent a couple of hours today googling this question, but all I can seem
14 > to find is how to do this from a linux partition other than the one on
15 > the USB drive. Is this even possible, and if so, how would I do it?
16
17 It seems surprising that such a new computer wouldn't let you boot
18 from USB. Usually in the boot order section of BIOS one of those
19 choices will be "removable disk" or "external device" or something
20 like that. That will typically boot your USB disk.