From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:38:37
1 Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 21:12:32 schrieb Grant Edwards:
2 > On 2011-09-06, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Nobody is forcing you to anything: but upstream projects (like
4 > > LibreOffice) need to fulfill the needs of all their users... not only
5 > > you. Don't force *them* to support every single printing system in the
6 > > planet earth;
7 >
8 > I wasn't complaining about lack of support for other printing systems.
9 > I was complaining about the lack of support for _no_ printing system.
10 > It seems dumb to make somebody without a printer install CUPs seems.
11
12 Agreed. It could be useful to have cups splitted into client and server
13 ebuilds. Or to have a server-USE for it. I don't know, if this is possible at
14 all or how much work this would be. ebuilds like LO could then depend on cups-
15 client or still work with server-disabled cups.
16
17 > > Because the Open Source community has limited resources. The
18 > > LibreOffice devs (or maybe the Gentoo ones) choose to support CUPS and
19 > > only CUPS, because it takes care of the most cases, not only yours.
20 >
21 > What about the lack of a CUPS install would make LibreOffice fail?
22 > Does LibreOffice depend on libraries provided by CUPS even if you
23 > don't want to print?
24 > As for cups being "huge", the standard install comprises over 500
25 > files. That's still huge in my book.
26
27 Afaict most of these files are related to the web-frontend.
28 And 500 files isn't that much.
29 See firefox for example:
30
31 ~ $ equery s firefox