From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:15:01
1 On 2011-09-06, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Nobody is forcing you to anything: but upstream projects (like
4 > LibreOffice) need to fulfill the needs of all their users... not only
5 > you. Don't force *them* to support every single printing system in the
6 > planet earth;
7
8 I wasn't complaining about lack of support for other printing systems.
9 I was complaining about the lack of support for _no_ printing system.
10 It seems dumb to make somebody without a printer install CUPs seems.
11
12 > Because the Open Source community has limited resources. The
13 > LibreOffice devs (or maybe the Gentoo ones) choose to support CUPS and
14 > only CUPS, because it takes care of the most cases, not only yours.
15
16 What about the lack of a CUPS install would make LibreOffice fail?
17 Does LibreOffice depend on libraries provided by CUPS even if you
18 don't want to print?
19
20 As for cups being "huge", the standard install comprises over 500
21 files. That's still huge in my book.
24 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have the power to
25 at HALT PRODUCTION on all
26 gmail.com TEENAGE SEX COMEDIES!!