From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with MAKEOPTS -j
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:34:55
1 On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Sometimes. My understanding is that it comes from packages which are
5 >> badly constructed, and can't reliably handle parallel builds. I'm told
6 >> that these cases are bugs and should be reported. Sometimes, if I
7 >> watch build output fly by, I'll even see something like
8 >>
9 >> make -j10 -j1 (some target name)
10 >>
11 >> where a maintainer decided to put an overriding -j1 after MAKEOPTS.
14 >> About two years ago, I found that, on my system (quad-core AMD Phenom
15 >> 9650), -j8 resulted in the fastest build time, as measured by building
16 >> ffmpeg.[1] Currently, I'm running -j10, and that's because I've been
17 >> using distcc to pass a couple compile tasks off to other systems.
18 >> (Though with the box I was deferring to scrapped for parts, I'll drop
19 >> this down to -j8 again)
20 >>
21 >> [1] Tested by building in tmpfs. You can find my data here:
22 >>
23 >> http://multimedia.cx/eggs/ffmpeg-and-multiple-build-threads/#comment-150325
27 > This is interesting.  I changed mine to j8 too.  See how this works.  CPUs
28 > are so fast nowadays, they can do a lot pretty fast.  I'm trying to imagine
29 > 10 years from now.  O_O
30
31 I imagine there's a *lot* of money to be made researching AST
32 optimization and simplification transform searches as delegated to
33 GPUs. I don't imagine it'll speed up compiling much, but I do imagine
34 the resulting optimized programs will run far faster. Especially if
35 there's a trend toward declarative programming languages. (I wonder if
36 there's a Prolog implementation that dispatches work to OpenCL. I'm
37 surprised the Mozart/Oz folks haven't dug in that direction yet.)
40 :wq