From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot gentoo with GTP Disk label
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 16:01:28
1 On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, claude angéloz
2 <claude.angeloz@×××××××.ch> wrote:
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
6 > reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
7 > partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
8 > can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
9 >
10 > I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
11 >
12 > - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
13 >
14 > - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
15 > but actually no succesful...
16 > but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
17 >
18 > I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
19 > macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
20 > support.
21 >
22 > I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
23 > pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
24 >
25 > If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
26 > Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?
27
28 I'm using GPT partitions and with the grub-0.97-r9 in Gentoo it has
29 patches to boot from GPT disks. I just did normal grub install as
30 usual and everything seems to work. I'm not using the partition label,
31 though, but only "root (hd0,0)"