From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Networking problems on new install?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 08:37:28
1 On Sunday 06 April 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag, 6. April 2008, Les Henderson wrote:
3 > > I recently bought a laptop that has an onboard Realtek RTL8101E NIC. I
4 > > installed a system to dual boot with Windows Vista (which was
5 > > preinstalled, which I'd really like to be able to get away from
6 > > eventually) using the amd64 2007.0 liveDVD to do a networkless
7 > > install. The LiveDVD would load the r8169 module, but networking still
8 > > would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). I used the LiveDVD to emerge
9 > > the 2.6.19-r5 kernel. I installed the r8101 module from the RealTek
10 > > site, and while this finally would allow me to see eth0 under my own
11 > > environment (I could see it booting from the LiveDVD as well),
12 > > networking still would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). Looking
13 > > around the gentoo forums I've seen suggestions to use either the r8169
14 > > or r8101 modules (depending on which post I read) using a kernel
15 > >
16 > > >2.6.19 and <2.6.22, that finally the module may work. I don't have a
17 > >
18 > > spare gentoo box on which I can grab this using emerge. Any
19 > > suggestions on how I can do this? My windows system has network
20 > > access, and I can mount my windows partition. Is there a better way to
21 > > get this NIC working?
22 >
23 > install a recent kernel like 2.6.23 or 2.6.24 (just download the sources,
24 > unpack them in /usr/src, create the linux symlink). And use the in kernel
25 > r8169 drivers.
26 >
27 > Don't use 'vendor' drivers if you don't have to!
28 >
29 > > Actually my ultimate goal is to get my Marvell TOPDOG wireless NIC
30 > > working, but it appears to me that I will need to get ndiswrapper and
31 > > perhaps wine for this to happen, neither of which are on the LiveDVD.
32 > > I'm hoping to get a network connection so I can get enough packages to
33 > > update the system enough to get this working and solve other hardware
34 > > issues resulting from me having a new laptop designed to work with
35 > > Vista.
36 >
37 > you might want to use the 2008-beta livecd for this - this way you don't
38 > have with a lot of very messy stuff (like expat). And wine is.. evil. Every
39 > release breaks something. If your stuff works at all.
40
41 Another thing to consider if your card is seen by ifconfig (i.e. you probably
42 have found the right driver for the card) but dhcpcd still times out: you
43 may need to recompile the dhcpcd client with the vram USE flag. Some dhcp
44 server implementations won't play nicely without it.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick