From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Networking problems on new install?
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:20:55
1 On Sonntag, 6. April 2008, Les Henderson wrote:
2 > I recently bought a laptop that has an onboard Realtek RTL8101E NIC. I
3 > installed a system to dual boot with Windows Vista (which was
4 > preinstalled, which I'd really like to be able to get away from
5 > eventually) using the amd64 2007.0 liveDVD to do a networkless
6 > install. The LiveDVD would load the r8169 module, but networking still
7 > would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). I used the LiveDVD to emerge
8 > the 2.6.19-r5 kernel. I installed the r8101 module from the RealTek
9 > site, and while this finally would allow me to see eth0 under my own
10 > environment (I could see it booting from the LiveDVD as well),
11 > networking still would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). Looking
12 > around the gentoo forums I've seen suggestions to use either the r8169
13 > or r8101 modules (depending on which post I read) using a kernel
14 >
15 > >2.6.19 and <2.6.22, that finally the module may work. I don't have a
16 >
17 > spare gentoo box on which I can grab this using emerge. Any
18 > suggestions on how I can do this? My windows system has network
19 > access, and I can mount my windows partition. Is there a better way to
20 > get this NIC working?
21
22 install a recent kernel like 2.6.23 or 2.6.24 (just download the sources,
23 unpack them in /usr/src, create the linux symlink). And use the in kernel
24 r8169 drivers.
25
26 Don't use 'vendor' drivers if you don't have to!
29 > Actually my ultimate goal is to get my Marvell TOPDOG wireless NIC
30 > working, but it appears to me that I will need to get ndiswrapper and
31 > perhaps wine for this to happen, neither of which are on the LiveDVD.
32 > I'm hoping to get a network connection so I can get enough packages to
33 > update the system enough to get this working and solve other hardware
34 > issues resulting from me having a new laptop designed to work with
35 > Vista.
36
37 you might want to use the 2008-beta livecd for this - this way you don't have
38 with a lot of very messy stuff (like expat). And wine is.. evil. Every
39 release breaks something. If your stuff works at all.
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list