From: Les Henderson <ljhender@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Networking problems on new install?
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:23:27
1 I recently bought a laptop that has an onboard Realtek RTL8101E NIC. I
2 installed a system to dual boot with Windows Vista (which was
3 preinstalled, which I'd really like to be able to get away from
4 eventually) using the amd64 2007.0 liveDVD to do a networkless
5 install. The LiveDVD would load the r8169 module, but networking still
6 would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). I used the LiveDVD to emerge
7 the 2.6.19-r5 kernel. I installed the r8101 module from the RealTek
8 site, and while this finally would allow me to see eth0 under my own
9 environment (I could see it booting from the LiveDVD as well),
10 networking still would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). Looking
11 around the gentoo forums I've seen suggestions to use either the r8169
12 or r8101 modules (depending on which post I read) using a kernel
13 >2.6.19 and <2.6.22, that finally the module may work. I don't have a
14 spare gentoo box on which I can grab this using emerge. Any
15 suggestions on how I can do this? My windows system has network
16 access, and I can mount my windows partition. Is there a better way to
17 get this NIC working?
18
19 Actually my ultimate goal is to get my Marvell TOPDOG wireless NIC
20 working, but it appears to me that I will need to get ndiswrapper and
21 perhaps wine for this to happen, neither of which are on the LiveDVD.
22 I'm hoping to get a network connection so I can get enough packages to
23 update the system enough to get this working and solve other hardware
24 issues resulting from me having a new laptop designed to work with
25 Vista.
28 Les Henderson
29 ljhender@×××××.com
30 --