From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:24:11
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >> Life is full of silly and not-so-silly conventions and /dev/dvd is one
5 >> of them. It has no good reason to be there, and equally no good reason
6 >> to not be there, but you already fixed your stuff to make it do what
7 >> you want.
8 > <SNIP>
9 >> --
10 >> Alan McKinnon
11 > Alan,
12 > Maybe in the future you'll consider this story: For your
13 > entertainment, please imagine an 82 year old woman who, unknown to
14 > anyone, has somehow gone beyond simple web browsing and email and
15 > managed to teach herself to watch a DVD on her Gentoo laptop. Possibly
16 > she is hard of hearing? This works well for her as she can use
17 > headphones and listen at levels that work for her any time of day or
18 > night. Once you get your head around that picture, please imagine this
19 > user being frustrated for _months_ when her 'no good reason to be
20 > there DVD' goes away. This user feels, for no good technical reason,
21 > that she has somehow hurt her computer and worse worries about the
22 > costs of fixing it. She remains silent, doesn't ask for help and loses
23 > access to something that she enjoys all because someone in the dev
24 > community decides to 'make a change'.
25 >
26 > Not every user (of Gentoo or any other distro) lives in the
27 > rarefied world of a Linux Sys Admin, much less the far more lowly and
28 > infinitely more mundane world I inhabit. My experience is that people
29 > almost always need a little help and almost never ask.
30 >
31 > Over and out,
32 > Mark
37 I have a better question. Why is a 82 year old woman using Gentoo? If
38 she installed Gentoo, updated Gentoo then she must be able to do
39 something with Gentoo, right?
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!