From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rc script opacity
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:57:09
1 On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:23:33 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > The 'command prompt' referred to is probably the bootloader command
4 > prompt (I don't remember how LiLO does it, but in GRUB you can edit menu
5 > entries on the fly and boot from the edited entry).
6
7 It's the normal (root) shell prompt. You can use the rc command to switch
8 runlevels after booting. To use your example, you're using your laptop
9 on the train, with the out runlevel because there's no network. Then you
10 arrive at home or the office and want to switch to the relevant profile
11 and start the services, so you run "rc home".
12
13 > I don't know how you define rc.conf files for softlevels, since I don't
14 > need softlevels, but I have seen discussions of this on the list in the
15 > past. There's probably a Wiki entry on the subject as well.
16
17 There doesn't appear to be anything on the wiki, which is a shame,
18 because this looks a useful feature.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. *
25 Wright