From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rc script opacity
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:39:19
1 Philip Webb schreef:
2 > The script /etc/conf.d/rc contains the following lines :
3 >
4 > # RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE allows you to have different /etc/conf.d
5 > files # based on your runlevel - if a conf.d file for your profile
6 > does not exist # then we try and use the default one. # To enable
7 > runlevel selection at boot, append "softlevel=foobar" to your #
8 > kernel line to change to the foobar runlevel. Or "rc foobar" at the
9 > command # prompt.
10 >
11 > RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE="yes"
12 >
13 > Can anyone explain what this means ?
14 >
15 > Eg how do you define different conf.d files ? Why does it suddenly
16 > talk about enabling runlevel selection at boot ? What does it mean by
17 > "kernel line" ? What is the "command prompt" here ?
18
19 Some people,. for example, laptop users, may boot their computer under
20 varying conditions.
21
22 A laptop may be booted on "the street", in which case there is no network
23 available.
24
25 Or it may be booted when docked, in which case there may be a network
26 available (if you're at home or work), or there may be a network
27 available that only has limited capacity (if you're in a hotel or an
28 internet cafe).
29
30 So it can be useful to be able to create a profile for varying but known
31 conditions under which the computer may be booted (there's no point in
32 starting network services in the event that you know you're not
33 connected to a network, but there's also no point in making 'no network
34 startup' the only possible setting, because then it's a PITA to get the
35 network started on those occasions that you are connected to a network
36 at boot).
37
38 Therefore, you can have profiles for 'home' (which would start the
39 network with your known LAN settings), 'out' (which would not start the
40 network at all, because you're in a park or on a client's site), or
41 'away' (which would start a network, but detect the settings manually,
42 because you're in a hotel on a business trip, and you don't know their
43 settings offhand).
44
45 The 'kernel line' being referred to is the line in your bootloader that
46 specifies the kernel and parameters that should be called when you
47 select that entry in the bootloader menu.
48
49 The 'command prompt' referred to is probably the bootloader command
50 prompt (I don't remember how LiLO does it, but in GRUB you can edit menu
51 entries on the fly and boot from the edited entry).
52
53 I don't know how you define rc.conf files for softlevels, since I don't
54 need softlevels, but I have seen discussions of this on the list in the
55 past. There's probably a Wiki entry on the subject as well.
56
57 But if you don't boot your computer under varying conditions, you don't
58 really
59 need to worry about it anyway.
60
61 HTH,