From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: no sound on upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 - using pulse audio
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 23:00:56
1 On 12/04/2011 01:41 PM, Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have just upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 and after that I was unable
5 > to hear the sound of videoclips from YouTube, for instance.
6 >
7 > I remember there was a little trick to make past versions of FF to
8 > work with pulse audio (that I use so VirtualBox machines can also
9 > play sounds), but can't find what it was.
10
11 Hi Francisco. I can't answer your Firefox question, sorry, but may
12 I ask you a question about pulseaudio instead?
13
14 There are several of us old atavistic grumps (you know who you are,
15 Alan) who can't see any use for pulseaudio and therefore disable it
16 with useflags and any other way we can.
17
18 For example, I use vbox all the time and have no problem getting
19 sound from my vbox guests, or from firefox or any other application.
20
21 Sound "just works" without pulseaudio -- so why do I need it?
22
23 Sadly, gnome3 has made pulseaudio mandatory if I want to use the
24 volume control applet on gnome-panel (and I do) so I now have the
25 pulseaudio daemon running in the background, but all of my apps
26 are built without the pulseaudio useflag and all produce good
27 sound even when I kill the pulseaudio daemon manually.
28
29 I still don't get the whole idea behind pulseaudio.