From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to solve blockage when trying to install kde-meta-4.1.2
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:46:44
1 On Wednesday 29 October 2008 19:59:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > A last note on emerge's output, especially with blockers: the time spent
4 > to read all the portage pages (several times) is time very well spent. I
5 > recommend when next you get blockers, is to rerun emerge with -t and take
6 > note of what packages cause a blocker to be pulled in or up|downgraded.
7 > make a list of everything involved and read the ebuilds. Plot it all out
8 > with pen and pencil, do this repetitively till you have a lightbulb
9 > moment where it all suddenly makes sense.
10
11 Sound advice, but it didn't help me last week. I had to take a more devious
12 approach involving a new test system and repeated attempts to install the
13 same packages on it as were on the live system until I found the one that
14 was causing the trouble. It was then a simple matter to remove it from the
15 world file, where it shouldn't have been in the first place, and I can now
16 dispense with the test system.
17
18 So I could have saved myself several days of head-banging if I'd just looked
19 in the world file - I'd have noticed the offender straight away. 20-20
20 hindsight. Wonderful.
21
22 > Most folks around here have done this at some point and there doesn't
23 > seem to be a shortcut :-)
24
25 Indeed.
28 Rgds