From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to solve blockage when trying to install kde-meta-4.1.2
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:07:04
1 On Wednesday 29 October 2008 19:03:51 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
2 > Thank you both for your responses, i will try dealing with QT first and
3 > then emerge udev separately, without any mercilless barbaric
4 > running-around-barely-dressed-waving-an-axe-around unmerging.
5
6 There you go, that's a good lad :-)
7
8 > I'm gonna miss the sledgehammer though...
9
10 Don't dismiss it entirely thoguh. It comes in handy when dealing with
11 recalcitrant incorigible users. Very very handy indeed.
12
13 A last note on emerge's output, especially with blockers: the time spent to
14 read all the portage pages (several times) is time very well spent. I
15 recommend when next you get blockers, is to rerun emerge with -t and take
16 note of what packages cause a blocker to be pulled in or up|downgraded. make
17 a list of everything involved and read the ebuilds. Plot it all out with pen
18 and pencil, do this repetitively till you have a lightbulb moment where it
19 all suddenly makes sense.
20
21 Most folks around here have done this at some point and there doesn't seem to
22 be a shortcut :-)
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com