From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager OK? kNetworkManager broken? Wireless setup very confusing...
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 03:25:29
1 No I am saying create a unique /etc/conf./net, hosts file, bind files,
2 firewall files (shorewall in my
3 case), /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and anything else that
4 has a unique setup per site and put them together in another directory.
5
6 I have tried putting everything in the net file in the past but its just
7 too complex once you get beyond a few sites, and many things wont fit
8 anyway. Ive learnt that its best to simplify - let each part of the
9 process do one thing only. You have less failures when you go into a
10 lecture/demo/site when all eyes are on you :) - and easier to fix
11 quickly, especially when the local IT services decides to change the
12 topology/settings without telling you!
13
14 Its a lot more complex in my case because of the number and complexity
15 of sites - VPN's at some, local routing, non-local routing,
16 private/public addressing, and in one case a site required cisco VPN
17 over wifi with an OpenVPN running through it to my office connecting
18 across a private addressed WAN to a asterisk VoIP.
19
20 You can do almost anything ...
21
22 BillK