From: Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager OK? kNetworkManager broken? Wireless setup very confusing...
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 02:18:02
1 Hey Bill,
2
3 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
4 > Gentoo networking is a bit on the wild side - it doesnt seem to work
5 > nicely with third party tools without a lot of work.
6 >
7 > My fix was to manually configure each location (and a couple of general
8 > ones such as wifi hotspot, and basic wired dhcp) as I came across them
9 > and copy the resulting config files to separate directories.  Then when
10 > I need to return to a location I just copy the matching set of files
11 > back and restart services.  Allows a "profile" based approach based on
12 > site - some need different screen resolutions, apache or bind running,
13 > external projector, firewall settings for VoIP or not and so on - all
14 > able to be scripted.
15
16 So are you saying you are writing configs in the normal gentoo
17 /etc/conf.d/net format? Not sure I'm following you here...
18
19 > Very flexible as I control it with a shell script linked to a gtkdialog
20 > for site selection one click to open dialog, second click selects site.
21 > I have decided not to automate site selection (such as netwwork
22 > detection on cable plugin) as I wanted control :)
23 >
24 > So my reccomendation is forget networkmanager (particularly that heap
25 > of !#$#%$@) and the like and roll your own.
26 >
27 > BillK
30 Yeah...starting to think that myself. I think conf.d/net allows you to
31 write separate configs based on essid, so perhaps I'll just go with
32 that. I'm sure I'll be using the same core group of APs a good 80% or
33 so of the time, it will just be annoying to have to scan and configure
34 manually the other 20%...
35
36 Perhaps I'll give Wicd a shot, if if no joy there just stick to what I
37 know and do it on the CLI...
38
39 Thanks,
40
41 D
42 --
43 Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
44 I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/