From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager OK? kNetworkManager broken? Wireless setup very confusing...
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 01:13:59
1 Gentoo networking is a bit on the wild side - it doesnt seem to work
2 nicely with third party tools without a lot of work.
3
4 My fix was to manually configure each location (and a couple of general
5 ones such as wifi hotspot, and basic wired dhcp) as I came across them
6 and copy the resulting config files to separate directories. Then when
7 I need to return to a location I just copy the matching set of files
8 back and restart services. Allows a "profile" based approach based on
9 site - some need different screen resolutions, apache or bind running,
10 external projector, firewall settings for VoIP or not and so on - all
11 able to be scripted.
12
13 Very flexible as I control it with a shell script linked to a gtkdialog
14 for site selection one click to open dialog, second click selects site.
15 I have decided not to automate site selection (such as netwwork
16 detection on cable plugin) as I wanted control :)
17
18 So my reccomendation is forget networkmanager (particularly that heap
19 of !#$#%$@) and the like and roll your own.
20
21 BillK