From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Personal firewall for Linux?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:43:22
1 Nagatoro schreef:
2 > Matt Randolph wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've seen related threads here recently, but I think my question is
5 >> different enough to warrant a new thread.
6 >>
7 >> I'm looking for a personal firewall along the lines of the ZoneAlarm
8 >> product for Windows. I don't want to take the time to teach myself
11 > Not an answer but a follow up question: Is there a firewall for Linux
12 > that can do application level filtering (probably wrong terms but...),
13
14 Please anybody, correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik, this assumption that
15 there are multiple firewall programs in the first place is incorrect.
16
17 There is one. IPtables. All right, two, if you count IPchains, which
18 IPtables replaced.
19
20 > that is is there a program that can block foo from web access but allow
21 > it to imap and at the same time allow bar web access? (like most Win*
22 > firewalls can)
23
24 It's all about the ruleset. In this case, it looks like this option is
25 involved:
26
27 owner
28 This module attempts to match various characteristics of the
29 packet creator, for locally-generated packets. It is only valid in the
30 OUTPUT chain,
31 and even this some packets (such as ICMP ping responses) may have
32 no owner, and hence never match.
33
34 --uid-owner userid
35 Matches if the packet was created by a process with the
36 given effective user id.
37
38 --gid-owner groupid
39 Matches if the packet was created by a process with the
40 given effective group id.
41
42 --pid-owner processid
43 Matches if the packet was created by a process with the
44 given process id.
45
46 --sid-owner sessionid
47 Matches if the packet was created by a process in the
48 given session group.
49
50 --cmd-owner name
51 Matches if the packet was created by a process with the
52 given command name. (this option is present only if iptables was
53 compiled under a
54 kernel supporting this feature)
57 Obviously, one would have to read more of man iptables than I did, or
58 get a GUI front end that handles this more 'intuitively' to actually
59 write the appropriate rule, but clearly it is possible.
60
61 Hope this helps,
62 Holly
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list