From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:11:17
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 09 Jul 2011 02:49:55 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> OK. Back to the original thread.
5 >>
6 >> Here we go again. Everything seems to work EXCEPT Firefox. When I log
7 >> into KDE, I can run Seamonkey, Kpat, Konqueror, Konsole, gkrellm and
8 >> such but as soon as I start Firefox, it locks up tight. Tight enough
9 >> that the kernel panics and it resets since Neil informed me how to set
10 >> that up. Thanks Neil!
11 >>
12 >> On Firefox, I have unmerged both nspluginwrapper& adobe-flash. Still
13 >> does the same. I also tried the unstable version of Firefox 3 and even
14 >> the unstable Firefox 4. I don't think it is Firefox itself but
15 >> something that Firefox accesses or loads up. Keep in mind, when I
16 >> upgraded Firefox it also pulled in new xulrunner packages as well. Is
17 >> there anything else I should unmerge? Keep in mind, I can't open
18 >> Firefox. Should I try to run Firefox as root to see if it locks up then
19 >> too?
20 >>
21 > Personally I would not run FF as root. It should run as plain user and be
22 > able to access all that it needs to do its job. What you haven't told us is
23 > if you have tried the stable FF version 3.6.17 and if you are also getting the
24 > same problems with the www-client/firefox-bin?
27 3.6.17 was what I had if I recall correctly. I had whatever was the
28 stable version. I then went up to the unstable version of 3 then to the
29 4 version. All did the same. That's why I don't think it is Firefox
30 itself but maybe something it loads or accesses. Thing is, as I went up
31 versions, it pulled in different versions of xulrunner and such that
32 Firefox depends on. I doubt that many versions can all have the same
33 problem and it only affect me. Just sort of sounds odd.
34
35 As for running as root, I meant as a test not a permanent thing. If I
36 did open it as root, I would have my router turned off, just to be safe.
37
38 This is weird as heck. A program leading a kernel panic. It's a head
39 scratcher.
40
41 Dale
42