From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:56:40
1 Hi Joost,
2
3 J. Roeleveld wrote:
4
5 > On Monday 03 January 2011 18:43:28 Jörg Schaible wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
9 >> changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel
10 >> it seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned
11 >> a device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my
12 >> monitor has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is
13 >> now /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this
14 >> later or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets
15 >> a different device number again.
16 >>
17 >> Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
18 >> can this brought back to normal operation?
19 >>
20 >> - Jörg
21 >
22 > One way to avoid USB-devices to be picked up before the kernel picks its
23 > boot- device is to put the USB-stuff as modules and have them loaded
24 > later.
25 >
26 > I haven't found a way to delay usb-device detection yet.
27
28 If nothing else helps ... :-/
29
30 - Jörg