From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 08:18:45
1 On Monday 03 January 2011 18:43:28 Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
5 > changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel
6 > it seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned a
7 > device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my monitor
8 > has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is now
9 > /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this later
10 > or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets a
11 > different device number again.
12 >
13 > Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
14 > can this brought back to normal operation?
15 >
16 > - Jörg
17
18 One way to avoid USB-devices to be picked up before the kernel picks its boot-
19 device is to put the USB-stuff as modules and have them loaded later.
20
21 I haven't found a way to delay usb-device detection yet.
24 Joost