From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tried desktop profile
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:37:53
1 On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, Michael wrote:
2
3 > Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 08:04:30
4 > From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tried desktop profile
8 >
9 > On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 09:30:00 BST Jude DaShiell wrote:
10 >
11 > > I'm trying -j1 first. This machine has 50% of its maximum ram capacity
12 > > in use and only has 2gb of ram capacity so yes this is a low memory
13 > > machine. Why I'm using it at all is since it has available a 3tb hard
14 > > drive. As long as /tmp directories under the $HOME directory structure
15 > > have better system protection than /tmpfs and /var/tmp if the -j1 build
16 > > fails I'll try pointing the memory to a safer place. I need to buy some
17 > > decent sized ssd drives since that way I can do this on my new machine
18 > > with 14GB of ram.
19 >
20 > OK, your RAM is not enough to build most large packages today. I'm thinking
21 > rust, chromium, gcc, firefox, libreoffice, as examples. Most of these will
22 > refuse to emerge right at the start as they check for adequate /var/tmp space.
23 > In any case, the solution for low RAM PCs is to set up adequate space on your
24 > disk for those packages only. Also to increase your swap, or add a swapfile
25 > just for these larger packages.
26 >
27 > Have a read at 'Example 2' here:
28 >
29 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.env
30 >
31 > If your / fs partition has inadequate free space, you can set up /var/tmp/
32 > notmpfs to a different partition as long as you remember to mount it with
33 > 'mount -o exec' and activate any swapfile(s) in advance.
34 >
35 > If you only set up more swap and leave PORTAGE_TMPDIR on RAM, the swapping
36 > from your RAM to disk will inevitably incur I/O bottleneck conditions and will
37 > start thrashing the disk, which could slow everything down to a crawl,
38 > potentially for days. Therefore, it is worth switching to BFQ scheduler when
39 > heavy swappage is expected:
40 >
41 > # echo bfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
42 >
43 > where sda is the disk on which the swapfile or partition is set.
47 Since the profile without the desktop emerged @world correctly after the
48 make.conf file got adjusted correctly for this computer I think all it
49 will run will be the basic profile. Even if it were possible to emerge
50 the compiles necessary for a desktop and get the rest of the system built
51 I'd probably run into difficulties later. I'll do the basic profile on
52 this machine and maybe do a desktop on the newer machine at some later
53 date.