From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 5.4.0
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 05:15:29
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > I just did this myself. After I switched to the new gcc, I ran
4 > revdep-rebuild. It had a large list of packages. I was planning to do
5 > a emerge -e world anyway, so I just did it instead. No sense doing most
6 > of it twice. During the rebuild, I had a qt package to fail. For some
7 > reason, it was stuck on a old qt4 version, even tho a qt5 version was
8 > there and ready to upgrade. I went ahead and manually upgraded it then
9 > restarted the emerge process again, since it didn't build many packages
10 > before that one failed anyway. It completed the whole emerge without a
11 > single failure that time.
12 >
13 > I will say this, I had to switch to Fluxbox for a while. KDE got pretty
14 > weird. I logged out, back in and it was really weird. I got a few
15 > pop-ups about things not starting correctly etc. It was unusable at
16 > that point. I then went to Fluxbox and used it for a while. Once the
17 > emerge got mostly done, KDE started working correctly again. As I
18 > suspected, some things just didn't like the difference in the gcc
19 > versions. No surprise there really.
20 >
21 > The only hitch so far, digikam is complaining with this error.
22 >
23 > digikam: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libdigikamcore.so.5.5.0:
24 > undefined symbol:
25 >
26 > I'm currently rebuilding it after revdep-rebuild said it needed it. I
27 > suspect it will work once that is done. I hope so. I got pics to
28 > download from my camera.
29 >
30 > All in all, it got weird for a bit but in the end, it went fairly well.
31 > The one failure I had wasn't related to the gcc upgrade. I still have
32 > no idea why that one package was stuck on that qt4 version. For anyone
33 > using KDE and doing this, I'd do it from a console and have a time where
34 > you either have a backup desktop to use or some time to let it sit and
35 > compile and at least get most of KDE re-emerged. For me at least, KDE
36 > was unusable for a while there.
37 >
38 > It's amazing that emerge can compile about 1500 packages and not have a
39 > failure. Those devs are really doing some good work back there. :-D
40 >
41 > Oh, I skipped palemoon. I'm not using it and may unmerge it anyway. I
42 > almost forgot that one. That is talked about elsewhere in this thread.
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
46 > :-) :-)
50 I wanted to add one more thing to this and see if anyone else noticed
51 the same thing. I've mentioned before that I use several Firefox
52 profiles. In other words, I have several instances of Firefox running
53 at the same time doing different things. A couple or so of those can
54 have over 100 tabs open at one time.
55
56 This is something I have noticed that changed since the gcc upgrade.
57 One, Firefox seems to use less memory. It's not a whole lot less but it
58 is less for sure. It also uses a lot less CPU power. Used to if I had
59 two or three Firefox profiles running, I could see 20, 30 and sometimes
60 even more CPU usage. Gkrellm would have a good bit of orange and the
61 little needle thing would be hovering around 30 to 40% on all the cores
62 with it spiking to well over 50% quite a lot. Closing Firefox would put
63 it down to single digits so I know it was Firefox causing this. Now,
64 with 4 instances running, it is hovering around 10 to 15%.
65
66 Second, I notice the same with plasmashell as well. It used to get
67 pretty hungry on memory and CPU at times. After the upgrade, not to
68 bad. Seems to stay about the same even after not logging out for days
69 at a time.
70
71 I did do a recent Firefox upgrade and a KDE upgrade as well. I'm not
72 100% sure what has the most effect on this but the two programs aren't
73 related in any way except that they were built with the newer gcc. I
74 found it interesting and was curious if others who upgraded have noticed
75 anything similar to this. Maybe noticed it with other programs as well.
76
77 Dale
78