From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Show ebuild date/time in emerge --pretend output
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:45:23
1 On 4/11/2014 4:37 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:30:43 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >> One of the things I do to minimize getting bit by newly released buggy
5 >> ebuilds is to wait a few days after a new update is available before
6 >> updating...
7 >
8 > Isn't that what the stable tree is for?
9
10 As I said, this has saved me some pain even on the stable tree...
11
12 > You could write a script that runs emerge -ublah @world, parses the
13 > output and then checks the timestamps of the ebuilds. It could then
14 > filter packages based on the age of the ebuild, instead of showing a date
15 > and letting you do the work.
16
17 This is all fine and good, but not what I asked.
18
19 First, ianap, and don't have the skills to do that, and
20
21 Second, I personally would like to see this important (imho) information
22 right there in the emerge --pretend output, and believe that lots of
23 people would find it valuable.
24
25 Last - I merely asked if this was *feasible*. Ie, it seems to me like
26 the relevant information is already available, portage just needs to
27 make use of it.
28
29 I'd even be fine with it only being made a part of the verbose output,
30 since I always do 'emerge -pvuDN world' anyway...