From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fwd: re: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:30:54
1 Apologies if you're getting this email for the second time. Gmail told
2 me they'd failed to deliver my original email. So I thought I'd give it
3 another shot.
6 -------- Original Message --------
7 Subject: re: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make
8 rule.
9 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:32:10 +0300
10 From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
11 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 Howdy,
16
17 I've seen this warning generated for a couple of packages lately.
18
19 >>> Messages generated by process 3353 on 2014-07-28 08:45:18 EEST for
20 package x11-misc/xscreensaver-5.29:
21
22 QA: install
23 QA Notice: make jobserver unavailable:
24
25 make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to
26 parent make rule.
27
28 >>> Messages generated by process 3391 on 2014-08-10 09:04:54 EEST for
29 package dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1i:
30
31 QA: install
32 QA Notice: make jobserver unavailable:
33
34 make[2]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to
35 parent make rule.
36
37 Is this something that requires the user to act upon, or does it
38 indicate a deficiency in one of the makefiles that came with the package?
39
40 If I am reading the extract below correctly, it is the latter.
43 https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Error-Messages.html
44
45 'warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.'
46 In order for |make| processes to communicate, the parent will pass
47 information to the child. Since this could result in problems if the
48 child process isn't actually a |make|, the parent will only do this
49 if it thinks the child is a |make|. The parent uses the normal
50 algorithms to determine this (see How the |MAKE| Variable Works
51 <https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/MAKE-Variable.html#MAKE-Variable>).
52 If the makefile is constructed such that the parent doesn't know the
53 child is a |make| process, then the child will receive only part of
54 the information necessary. In this case, the child will generate
55 this warning message and proceed with its build in a sequential manner.
56
57 Thanks.