From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:37:45
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 06:22:10PM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > how about a more stable kernel - like 3.4.X?
4
5 It was running 3.6.8 fine, and ~ kernels for ages before that.
6
7 The paranoid in me thinks it was 3.7.0, but I really don't know.
8
9 > and yes, a confused bios can do a lot of strange things. One thing you might
10 > try: disconnect your box from the main for several minutes, reset bios...
11 >
12 > had to do that dance A LOT with a costly POS asus board...
13
14 I unplugged it last night, tried again half an hour later, no joy, so I unplugged it again and have been eating breakfast, got osme errands to run, and then I will try again.
15
16 What's so frustrating is that the box was working fine, including the keyboard, until that first boot into 3.7.0, where it couldn't find the root drive, and then the keyboard stopped working, even with the BIOS, almost as if 3.7.0 did something nasty and clobbered everything it could get its hands on.
17
18 Well, I'll try again in a bit.
21 Felix Finch, a la mode