From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 22:31:00
1 On 20/07/13 00:43, Dale wrote:
2 > luis jure wrote:
3 >> on 2013-07-19 at 01:56 Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Do you really want to put /home on a SSD?
6 >> well, not actually the whole /home, the SSD is too small for that. i'm
7 >> not
8 >> sure yet, i might keep /home on a HDD and mount the partition on the
9 >> SSD as
10 >> a directory under /home for some special uses. or the other way around...
15 > Size was one issue I thought of but I was more concerned with the wear
16 > and tear part but that was explained by others. It seems that is not as
17 > much a issue any more.
18 >
19 > At one time, I had a /data directory. I stored large stuff there:
20 > camera pics, videos, audio stuff and such. If you put /home on SSD, you
21 > could always put the larger stuff on another mount point. One thing
22 > about Linux, you can mount stuff wherever you want.
23 >
24 > Post back how it works out and any speed improvements you see. I'm
25 > really curious since I would like to get one that is at least big enough
26 > for the OS itself. My /home is over 1Tb, that is Tb too. I'm not buying
27 > one big enough for all that. lol
28 >
29 > Dale
30 >
31 > :-) :-)
34 One "odd" condition I ran into twice with the ssd + btrfs were
35 filesystems about half full but cant write to because the filesystem was
36 full!
37
38 After messy crashes it seemed like btrfs would "lose" some
39 files/sectors/whatever and the only way I could recover was an erase
40 cycle (IBM 520 series). It wasnt sub-volumes or other wrinkles as far
41 as I could see, just that btrfs/trim and the underlying disk didn't
42 agree and I couldn't figure out why ...
43
44 For "my" use case, having good backups (regularly tested by actually
45 needing to use them :) have been an integral part of my ssd
46 "experiences" :) On the other side, the apple laptop with ssd + btrfs
47 on root has been problem free.
48
49 BillK