From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: old farts slum_code enforcement
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 22:21:59
1 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > You are a C man.
4 > Working with bash must be .... excruciatingly painful
5
6 Ah yes, State machine design; not much fittering around with
7 escaping silly little symbols.....
8
9 sh/csh/bash/scripting is not bad. I just 'lift' the tough stuff
10 from others mostly. With some codes, like Java, you read
11 and follow 90%, then there is another code to find and read.
12 It never ends, on and on and on.... Then instead of one choice
13 you have 3 or 4 choices....... Maven is a whole nutter beast....
14 Why it is becoming so important is still a wee bit confusing to me.
15 [1] http://maven.apache.org/
18 I'm just not use to that sort of world. In embedded, you
19 over design before you begin coding. You do not have megabytes
20 of lib stuff to find and read and test the dozens of variants.
21
22 I like to code. It's debugging the stuff that drives me crazy(er?).....
23 These kids have no respect for us old farts. I remember when
24 "numerical recipies in C" [2] was the stuff. Now it's C++ or Java. [3]
25 I have a book on my shelf (where it belongs) on "Concurrency State
26 Moels & Java" by Magee and Kramer, 1999 - Wiley. What a hoot!
27
28 I'm still looking for "Numerical recipies in Bash" ?
29 Ju gonna code that up?
30
31 Howz your Fortan 90? I did not even know there was such an
32 ugly beast [4]. I thought Fortran was outlawed decades ago.
33 I guess nothing ever dies. Physicists have to have a language
34 to themselves.
37 Anyway, my_python is comming along......
38 (pist, don't tell anyone, but I almost, (almost) like python).
41 [1] http://maven.apache.org/
42 [2] http://www.nrbook.com/a/bookcpdf.php
43 [3] http://www.nr.com/
44 [4] https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranStandards