From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:16:07
1 On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:19:57 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > I've promised myself for years since my apprentice days that I would
6 > > one day built a valve amp from a kit. There's something about the
7 > > warm glow from the tubes on a winter night that is appealing :-)
8 > > I'd better hurry up and get on with it, I read that decent quality
9 > > valves are becoming scarce and are generally only available from
10 > > (what used to be) the USSR.
11 >
12 > Found a few sites for ya:
13 >
14 > http://tctubes.com/about-us.aspx
15 >
16 > http://electrontubestore.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us
17 >
18 > http://www.tubesandmore.com/customer_service/about_us
19 >
20 > I found that by typing 6gh8a in google. That's a old tube that I used
21 > to have to replace pretty regular. I think it was used in the audio
22 > section and would usually work fine when cold but get a bit weird when
23 > it gets good and hot. They got replaced a LOT back then. Anyway, two
24 > are in the USA but one is in Canada.
25
26 Cool finds, thanks!
27
28 Maybe I should go-ahead and build an amp and be done with it. No more
29 mucking about putting it off :-)
30
31 > Maybe you got more time than you think. ;-) I do think the old tubes
32 > have better sound tho. I can't explain it but they just sound
33 > different.
34
35 You're not imagining things. Valves do sound better and you can measure
36 it and see why.
37
38 Valves and transistors both distort sound to some degree as all
39 electronic systems will. The difference is in how the distortion
40 happens.
41
42 Semiconductors are prone to even-harmonic distortion, so if you have a
43 100Hz sine wave, it will produce distortion at 100hz, 400Hz, 1600Hz and
44 so on. Valves produce odd-harmonic distortion, at 200Hz, 800Hz and so
45 on.
46
47 If you are now thinking "Fourier" and wondering if transistors try to
48 make square waves, you are bang on the money because that is exactly
49 what is happening. To the human ear, a square wave sounds like gross
50 horrendous distortion, even at very small percentages. At it's worst,
51 this is "clipping" and happens because a transistor will happily pass
52 current until the voltage drop over it hits the supply voltage and it
53 clips. Bingo, one square(ish) wave and horrible sound.
54
55 Valves deal with this in a more "analog" fashion, as the voltage drop
56 nears the supply voltage it passes less and less current, rounding the
57 waveform and never actually clipping it. Which sounds far more pleasant
58 to the human ear.
59
60 Modern circuitry tries to avoid the transistor problem using "soft
61 clipping" and other tricks - basically trying to make the transistor
62 behave in the same way a valve oes. This does make a huge difference,
63 but you can never completely eliminate the device's inherent
64 characteristics, it is what it is and this leopard doesn't change it's
65 spots.
69 > I think that is why some places still have tubes. Some
70 > people just like them more. I think they make great heaters. lol
71 >
72 > Dale
73 >
80 Alan McKinnon