From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:32:33
1 On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 21:35, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >>> I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
5 >>> highly-partitioned, like this:
6 >>>
7 >
8 > ----- >8 snip
11 >> I don't use LVM but I suspect that on this list that would be the #1
12 >> recommendation to take care of the numbers question.
15 > Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
16 > starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ... :D
17 >
18 > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty complex.
21 I'm exactly as you are WRT to LVM but I admired Dale for giving it a
22 shot and I'm sorta feeling like I gotta start learn it just to be part
23 of the group... ;-)
24
25 Seriously though, I've done enough RAID (0,1,5 & 6) recently to at
26 least feel comfortable setting it up. I'm much more worried about
27 whether I'll be able to handle it when it eventually breaks down. None
28 the less, with LVM on top of RAID I think I'd get past a lot of
29 limitations that I run into, and you may, when I picked a certain size
30 and 1 year down the road it turns out my needs changed.
31
32 Still, I glaze over every time... :-)
33
34 - Mark