From: Paul <stenius@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Excessive processor usage
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:28:00
1 so there is always an assumption
2
3 On 8/6/07, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
4 >
5 > On 06 August 2007, sean wrote:
6 > > Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
7 > > > Hi,
8 > > >
9 > > > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:30:01 +0200 "Xav'" <blackhawk@××××××××.fr>
10 > wrote:
11 > > >> If you want to check there is no such program on your system, I
12 > > >> advice you to try chkrootkit, to check there is no such rootkit on
13 > > >> your system...
14 > > >
15 > > > To put it correctly, since there is _NO_ way to assure that there
16 > isn't
17 > > > a rootkit:
18 > > >
19 > > > chkrootkit can be used to check whether there _are_ _known_ rootkits.
20 > > >
21 > > > BTW, there are other, similar programs that do the same.
22 > > > But my point is: You can never be sure, since a hypothesis can't be
23 > > > proven correct, just invalid.
24 > > >
25 > > > If there are indications a rootkit might be present, there's no secure
26 > > > way to remove it but to reinstall.
27 > > >
28 > > > -hwh
29 > >
30 > > Hans, Xav, Thank You both, ran the root kit check no problems.
31 >
32 > The problems remain: You can't be sure. :-(
33 >
34 > Uwe
35 >
36 > --
37 > Jack Nicholson: My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a
38 > bitch.
39 > --
40 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
46 /