From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Excessive processor usage
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:19:45
1 On 06 August 2007, sean wrote:
2 > Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:30:01 +0200 "Xav'" <blackhawk@××××××××.fr> wrote:
6 > >> If you want to check there is no such program on your system, I
7 > >> advice you to try chkrootkit, to check there is no such rootkit on
8 > >> your system...
9 > >
10 > > To put it correctly, since there is _NO_ way to assure that there isn't
11 > > a rootkit:
12 > >
13 > > chkrootkit can be used to check whether there _are_ _known_ rootkits.
14 > >
15 > > BTW, there are other, similar programs that do the same.
16 > > But my point is: You can never be sure, since a hypothesis can't be
17 > > proven correct, just invalid.
18 > >
19 > > If there are indications a rootkit might be present, there's no secure
20 > > way to remove it but to reinstall.
21 > >
22 > > -hwh
23 >
24 > Hans, Xav, Thank You both, ran the root kit check no problems.
25
26 The problems remain: You can't be sure. :-(
27
28 Uwe
31 Jack Nicholson: My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list