From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:11:26
1 On 07/09/2011 10:26 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 July 2011 18:39:04 Stroller did opine thusly:
3 >> On 8 July 2011, at 16:19, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> Two USE flags: gtk2 and gtk3
5 >>>
6 >>> DEPEND="
7 >>> gtk2? (x11-libs/gtk+:2)
8 >>> gtk3? (x11-libs/gtk+:3)
9 >>> "
10 >>>
11 >>> in src-configure() write the code such that it establishes a
12 >>> precedence
13 >>
14 >> This is the way it was done for gtk vs. gtk2, but the bug has been
15 >> updated since I first read it (over 24 hours ago) and apparently
16 >> the Gnome team don't want the two separate flags in the future.
17 >>
18 >> I'm not really a gtk or Gnome (or X11) user, so I don't really know,
19 >> but the two separate flags did strike me as a bit of an ugly /
20 >> clumsy way of doing things.
21 >
22 > It's also the only mechanism I know of to do it.
23 >
24 > If the ebuild will support two toolkits and the choice of which to use
25 > is based solely on a user's preference, there is only one way to
26 > resolve that - a precedence list. There's no way around that.
27
28 There's also mutually exclusive USE flags (there's an eclass for that),
29 which is what the submitted patch did.