From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:11:23
1 On Friday 08 July 2011 18:39:04 Stroller did opine thusly:
2 > On 8 July 2011, at 16:19, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > easy.
5 > >
6 > > Two USE flags: gtk2 and gtk3
7 > >
8 > > in ebuild:
9 > >
10 > > DEPEND="
11 > >
12 > > gtk2? (x11-libs/gtk+:2)
13 > > gtk3? (x11-libs/gtk+:3)
14 > >
15 > > "
16 > >
17 > > in src-configure() write the code such that it establishes a
18 > > precedence
19 > >
20 > > If both flags are set, build against gtk+:3
21 > > If only one flag is set, build against that toolkit
22 > > If no flags are set, do something appropriate.
23 >
24 > This is the way it was done for gtk vs. gtk2, but the bug has been
25 > updated since I first read it (over 24 hours ago) and apparently
26 > the Gnome team don't want the two separate flags in the future.
27 >
28 > I'm not really a gtk or Gnome (or X11) user, so I don't really know,
29 > but the two separate flags did strike me as a bit of an ugly /
30 > clumsy way of doing things.
31
32 It's also the only mechanism I know of to do it.
33
34 If the ebuild will support two toolkits and the choice of which to use
35 is based solely on a user's preference, there is only one way to
36 resolve that - a precedence list. There's no way around that.
37
38 Some global mechanism would be nice and could be useful in various
39 cases:
40
41 gtk+-2 vs gtk+-3
42 openssl vs gnuts