From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions regarding the usage of multiple locales
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:17:57
1 On Saturday 26 June 2010 16:40:53 Dale wrote:
2 > David W Noon wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:40:01 +0200, Mick wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
4 > > Questions regarding the usage of multiple locales:
5 > >
6 > > [snip]
7 > >
8 > >> Hmm... I've added all this in my /etc/env.d/02locale:
9 > >>
10 > >> LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
11 > >> LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
12 > >> LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
13 > >> LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
14 > >> LC_COLLATE="C"
15 > >> LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
16 > >> LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
17 > >> LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
18 > >> LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
19 > >> LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
20 > >> LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
21 > >> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
22 > >> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
23 > >
24 > > Did you run env-update afterwards?
25 > >
26 > > I ditched all those /etc/env.d settings for locale, and put mine
27 >
28 > > in /etc/profile.d/local.sh as follows:
29 > << SNIP >>
30 >
31 > Something I run into sometimes, if you are using KDE, log out then log
32 > back in. I run into this pretty regular and usually forget. I have
33 > been sort of half reading this thread and seem to recall reading you are
34 > using KDE. I know this applies to when you change the groups a user is
35 > in. Ran into that the other day. This may apply to other desktops as
36 > well. I only have KDE here. Just thought I would mention just in case.
37
38 Thank you all for your suggestions.
39
40 First of all I'd like to apologise to Christopher because I did not intend to
41 hi-jack his thread (I was hoping I had something basic wrong and was looking
42 for a quick fix).
43
44 I have run 'env-update && source /etc/profile' after making any change. I
45 have also rebooted for good measure since this thread spanned more than a few
46 days so far.
47
48 I do not use the full KDE. Instead I use Enlightenment with some KDE
49 applications. I do use kdm to login.
50
51 The consoles work as expected, but terminals in X do not. They seem to be
52 stuck to (or overwritten by) a US profile for some reason.
53
54 Running env-update works as far as updating the /etc/profile.env file goes:
55 ========================================
56 # THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY env-update.
57 # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. CHANGES TO STARTUP PROFILES
58 # GO INTO /etc/profile NOT /etc/profile.env
59
60 export CONFIG_PROTECT='/usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config'
61 export CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK='/etc/sandbox.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf
62 /etc/terminfo /etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/revdep-rebuild'
63 export CVS_RSH='ssh'
64 export GCC_SPECS=''
65 export GDK_USE_XFT='1'
66 export ICAROOT='/opt/ICAClient'
67 export INFOPATH='/usr/share/info:/usr/share/binutils-data/x86_64-pc-linux-
68 gnu/2.20.1/info:/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/info'
69 export LANG='en_GB.UTF-8'
70 export LC_ADDRESS='en_GB.UTF-8'
71 export LC_COLLATE='C'
72 export LC_CTYPE='en_GB.UTF-8'
73 export LC_IDENTIFICATION='en_GB.UTF-8'
74 export LC_MEASUREMENT='en_GB.UTF-8'
75 export LC_MESSAGES='en_GB.UTF-8'
76 export LC_MONETARY='en_GB.UTF-8'
77 export LC_NAME='en_GB.UTF-8'
78 export LC_NUMERIC='en_GB.UTF-8'
79 export LC_PAPER='en_GB.UTF-8'
80 export LC_TELEPHONE='en_GB.UTF-8'
81 export LC_TIME='en_GB.UTF-8'
82 [snip ...]
83 ========================================
84
85 Out of all the above only LANG takes and is shown as LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, all the
86 rest are shown as ="en_US.UTF-8" in xterm, aterm, urxvt, konsole.
87
88 Launching xterm from an aterm with -ls or with -lc does not change the output
89 - i.e. xterm does not read .bashrc or /etc/env.d/02locale.
90
91 So I conluded after Bill kindly hinted, that either kdm or E17 do something
92 different than what I expect with locales, because terminals running in X do
93 not recognise my settings.
94
95 Looking into KDE systemsettings I see this under Country Selector: "Not set
96 (Generic English)". Also, language is blank - despite the fact that I have
97 set up LINGUAS="en_GB". Setting Country as UK and rebooting did not make any
98 difference with regards to locales, or language (which is still shown blank
99 with English US as the only drop down option).
100
101 Then I looked into Enlightenment's 'Settings Panel'/Language and noticed that
102 although it had picked up language as English/UK it had not picked up the
103 UTF-8 character set. Selected that, logged out/in and now all my locale
104 settings in terminals show en_GB.UTF-8 (even for LC_COLLATE and LC_ALL).
105
106 Therefore, it was the desktop manager after all!
107
108 Thank you very much for your help.
109
110 PS. Going back to the original thread and the link that Enrico gave, are we
111 meant to set up LANGUAGE separately to LANG? (I thought they were the same).
112 --
113 Regards,
114 Mick