From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do you leave it on? USE="berkdb"
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:13:12
1 On Sunday 22 October 2006 17:14, Grant wrote:
2 > > > Does anyone else have a comment on this? Does turning on berkdb
3 > > > increase the performance of the applications that can utilize it, with
4 > > > the downside of another package on the system? How about gdbm?
5 > >
6 > > At one point berkdb and gdbm conflicted in cyrus-sasl and I think there
7 > > were issues in PHP as well... this is roughly 2-3 years ago. I started
8 > > turning berkdb off for most things and never noticed a difference. My
9 > > understanding is that they do the same thing.
10 > >
11 > > I'd say using neither is an issue. Apache will start, process config
12 > > files, and then use berkdb or gdbm to create a hash of the vhosts for
13 > > fast lookups. I'd assume Apache has some less efficient fallback code to
14 > > hash configs or it would fail to build without one or the other.
15 >
16 > It sounds like I should have one or the other on. I guess I'll go for
17 > berkdb since it's a default and gdbm is not.
18
19 In the amd64-2006+ and x86-2005.1+ profiles both berkdb and gdbm are on by
20 default. This leaves the choice to the applications.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list