From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: htop wants cgroups
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:46:35
1 On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:36:03 -0700
3 > schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
4
5 >> The warnings don't bother me that much, I just feel they are Bad
6 >> Policy. Enabling cgroups would add unnecessary complexity to the
7 >> kernel configuration, if only a bit.
8 >
9 > On the other hand, if such warning weren't there, it would make
10 > installing full-featured systems more difficult. And any experienced
11 > Gentoo user can decide on her/his own how to react to such warnings.
12 >
13 > I like to have such warnings in. It gives me hints what I like to have
14 > and what not and gives me the opportunity to improve my knowledge by
15 > researching on that warning.
16 >
17 > An improvement could maybe be made: Such warnings could tell links into
18 > the Gentoo wiki for further information on that topic.
21 Yes, positive warnings would make the difference:
22 "Your kernel lacks support for cfoo. You can use this package but
23 feature bar will be disabled. See
24 "https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bar_great"
25
26 As opposed to:
27 "Your kernel lacks support for cfoo. You absolutely must enable cfoo,
28 everybody knows that, what were you thinking?! Do the right thing or
29 else..."
30
31 Regards
32