From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pre-emerge steps
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:23:35
1 On Thursday 01 January 2009 02:29:15 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 31 Dec 2008, at 23:51, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
3 > > Having just been bitten by some of my hardware being abandoned with
4 > > the latest
5 > > version of a software package I am left to question the entire
6 > > philosophy in
7 > > gentoo of always running bleeding edge. Not touching a system that's
8 > > working
9 > > is becoming far more tempting, and I'm curious as to what others
10 > > here have to
11 > > say about that.
12 >
13 > I think what you should be asking is why upstream have stopped
14 > supporting your hardware. Hopefully they'll be able to give a good
15 > reason for doing so.
16
17 He also asked a very generic question, the kind that doesn't really have an
18 answer. So no-one likely will.
19
20 For all we know, the hardware in question is a floppy drive. Or token ring.
21
22 Michael, what package, what hardware are we talking about?
23 Your question can only be answered in context.
24
25 > IMO the Gentoo philosophy is not to run "bleeding edge", but just to
26 > install from upstream, keeping it as "pure" and unchanged as possible.
27
28 Gentoo is also somewhat general-purpose. There comes a point where obscure
29 hardware is no longer worth the effort of supporting, or no-one is willing to
30 do it, so that hardware has to be dropped.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com