From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pre-emerge steps
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 00:29:25
1 On 31 Dec 2008, at 23:51, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
2 > Having just been bitten by some of my hardware being abandoned with
3 > the latest
4 > version of a software package I am left to question the entire
5 > philosophy in
6 > gentoo of always running bleeding edge. Not touching a system that's
7 > working
8 > is becoming far more tempting, and I'm curious as to what others
9 > here have to
10 > say about that.
11
12 I think what you should be asking is why upstream have stopped
13 supporting your hardware. Hopefully they'll be able to give a good
14 reason for doing so.
15
16 IMO the Gentoo philosophy is not to run "bleeding edge", but just to
17 install from upstream, keeping it as "pure" and unchanged as possible.
18
19 Stroller.