From: Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 01:25:28
1 Le 2015-08-27 20:31, Jeremi Piotrowski a écrit :
2 > On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Michel Catudal wrote:
3 >
4 >> No one is asking them to do that. As mentioned before it works with some
5 >> override. A solution to the problem would be to remove the arrogance toward
6 >> people who want grub on a partition and remove the part in the installer that
7 >> refuses to install it unless you give it an override.
8 > To me they are dealing with this in the right way. As the developers they
9 > have to decide what setups they want to support as the spectrum is huge
10 > and manpower is limited.
11 >
12 > There are problems with installing grub to a partition, read [1].
13 > Therefore it is not supported and not allowed by default, because if they
14 > don't do this people:
15 >
16 > 1. _will_ try installing to a partition
17 > 2. _will_ render their system unbootable
18 > 3. _will_ come running for help and complaining
19 > 4. _will_ get angry when you tell them `I told you so'
20 >
21 > Seems perfectly legit to want to spare yourself this trouble.
22
23 This is nonsense. I have never had a case where it would not boot when I have grub correctly installed on the partition. By having each distribution with its own bootloader they do not mess things up for the other. I keep 4 different linux distributions on
24 my computer plus Ecomstation. If in one experiment I goof on one distribution I have some others to help me recover. If one of the distributions that messes up is in control of the boot loader I am screwed. I do not want any operating system in charge of
25 the bootloader, isn't that clear enough?
26
27 If grub ever messes up the partition that will be because they added some troyan functions to piss off people who disagree with their ownership of the whole computer.
28
29 >> If I say write the
30 >> bootloader on the partition, that should work as requested, they can still
31 >> write a comment that they do not like us doing it but should not keep us from
32 >> doing it. If it doesn't work we will see it soon enough.
33 >>
34 > I don't get you - that _is_ exactly what they are doing. You say 'write
35 > bootloader to partition' by adding the force flag and grub2 complains but
36 > does what it is told.
37 >
38 > [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1229097#p1229097
42 You missed the point, I do not want some installation treating me like a child by denying an install to protect me against myself. If I mess up my system it is nobody's business but mine.
46 For Linux Software visit
47 http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal
48 http://sourceforge.net/projects/suzielinux/