From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:31:41
1 On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Michel Catudal wrote:
2
3 > No one is asking them to do that. As mentioned before it works with some
4 > override. A solution to the problem would be to remove the arrogance toward
5 > people who want grub on a partition and remove the part in the installer that
6 > refuses to install it unless you give it an override.
7
8 To me they are dealing with this in the right way. As the developers they
9 have to decide what setups they want to support as the spectrum is huge
10 and manpower is limited.
11
12 There are problems with installing grub to a partition, read [1].
13 Therefore it is not supported and not allowed by default, because if they
14 don't do this people:
15
16 1. _will_ try installing to a partition
17 2. _will_ render their system unbootable
18 3. _will_ come running for help and complaining
19 4. _will_ get angry when you tell them `I told you so'
20
21 Seems perfectly legit to want to spare yourself this trouble.
22
23 > If I say write the
24 > bootloader on the partition, that should work as requested, they can still
25 > write a comment that they do not like us doing it but should not keep us from
26 > doing it. If it doesn't work we will see it soon enough.
29 I don't get you - that _is_ exactly what they are doing. You say 'write
30 bootloader to partition' by adding the force flag and grub2 complains but
31 does what it is told.
32
33 [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1229097#p1229097