From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to unstable
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:00:06
1 On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:36:37 +0200, Damian wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The reason for doing so is that what is considered as unstable as been
6 >>> regarded as stable releases for the developers, and the truth is that
7 >>> the problems I got for using outdated software were more that the ones I
8 >>> had for using unstable versions.
9 >>
10 >> That's because what you describe as unstable has nothing to do with
11 >> stability of the software. ~arch is testing ebuilds, they are unstable in
12 >> that they change more often, but as you say, the upstream software is
13 >> considered fit for use.
14 >>
15 >>> Thus, I'm thinking about switching all of my system to the unstable
16 >>> branch. But first I want to be sure that this is reasonable given the
17 >>> problems I described before.
18 >>>
19 >>> Can you provide me some useful advice according to your experience?
20 >>
21 >> Switching to testing is as easy as changing ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf
22 >> and doing emerge -uaDN @world. Switching back is less easy, but if this
23 >> is what you want to do, then go for it. I have run testing for years,
24 >> with far less problems than some people running mixed arch systems.
27 >> --
28 >> Neil Bothwick
29 >
30 > I have a new machine that just came up yesterday. I was thinking of
31 > running ~arch on it and seeing how things work out. Seems like it's a
32 > good time to do it if I'm ever going to as I haven't started using it
33 > and it's going to get busy. If your answers are dependent on the work
34 > done then this machine is (hopefully) going to run a bunch of vmware
35 > instances at the same time. Any problem doing that under ~amd64? I've
36 > never run more than 1 in the past. This time hopefully 5 at a time.
37 >
38 > Question - after adding ~amd64 to make.conf do I then ever need
39 > anything in package.keywords again because the whole system is ~amd64?
40 >
41 > It seems that there would be some use flag changes required:
42 >
43 > cruncher ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world
44 >
45 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
46 >
47 > Calculating dependencies... done!
48 >
49 > emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
50 > ">=sys-fs/udev-145[extras]".
51 > !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
52 > - sys-fs/udev-151-r1 (Change USE: +extras)
53 > (dependency required by "gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3" [ebuild])
54 > (dependency required by "gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0" [ebuild])
55 > (dependency required by "gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.3" [ebuild])
56 > (dependency required by "gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.3" [ebuild])
57 > (dependency required by "net-libs/xulrunner-1.9.2.3-r1" [ebuild])
58 > (dependency required by "www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.6.3" [ebuild])
59 > (dependency required by "@world" [argument])
60 >
61 > cruncher ~ #
62 >
63 > Will there be a lot of this before I execute the emerge? I know udev
64 > is pretty special.
65 >
66 > - Mark
69 OK - I walked through the list until it told me things were OK. These
70 are the use flag additions I had to add:
71
72 sys-fs/udev extras
73 gnome-base/gvfs gdu
74 sys-apps/parted device-mapper
75 sys-auth/consolekit policykit
76 net-libs/opal sip
77 net-libs/ptlib wav
78 x11-base/xorg-server kdrive
79
80 A couple more questions:
81
82 1) I don't see any mention of hald & dbus in the upgrade guide. I
83 currently have them turned on. Are they still necessary? I know hald
84 is going away one of these days. Is it too early for me to dump it.
85 Possibly dump hald before the upgrade, make sure everything is
86 consistent, and then do the ~amd64 work?
87
88 2) Any problem if I do emerge -DuN @system and then make the changes
89 in the upgrade guide followed by @world? I've turned of xdm. I don't
90 have a UPS on this system yet so @system would shrink the window of a
91 power outage causing me problems. (It's pouring rain here today. It
92 will likely happen no matter what) ;-)
93
94 Thanks,
95 Mark