From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to unstable
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:25:02
1 On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:36:37 +0200, Damian wrote:
3 >
4 >> The reason for doing so is that what is considered as unstable as been
5 >> regarded as stable releases for the developers, and the truth is that
6 >> the problems I got for using outdated software were more that the ones I
7 >> had for using unstable versions.
8 >
9 > That's because what you describe as unstable has nothing to do with
10 > stability of the software. ~arch is testing ebuilds, they are unstable in
11 > that they change more often, but as you say, the upstream software is
12 > considered fit for use.
13 >
14 >> Thus, I'm thinking about switching all of my system to the unstable
15 >> branch. But first I want to be sure that this is reasonable given the
16 >> problems I described before.
17 >>
18 >> Can you provide me some useful advice according to your experience?
19 >
20 > Switching to testing is as easy as changing ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf
21 > and doing emerge -uaDN @world. Switching back is less easy, but if this
22 > is what you want to do, then go for it. I have run testing for years,
23 > with far less problems than some people running mixed arch systems.
26 > --
27 > Neil Bothwick
28
29 I have a new machine that just came up yesterday. I was thinking of
30 running ~arch on it and seeing how things work out. Seems like it's a
31 good time to do it if I'm ever going to as I haven't started using it
32 and it's going to get busy. If your answers are dependent on the work
33 done then this machine is (hopefully) going to run a bunch of vmware
34 instances at the same time. Any problem doing that under ~amd64? I've
35 never run more than 1 in the past. This time hopefully 5 at a time.
36
37 Question - after adding ~amd64 to make.conf do I then ever need
38 anything in package.keywords again because the whole system is ~amd64?
39
40 It seems that there would be some use flag changes required:
41
42 cruncher ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world
43
44 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
45
46 Calculating dependencies... done!
47
48 emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
49 ">=sys-fs/udev-145[extras]".
50 !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
51 - sys-fs/udev-151-r1 (Change USE: +extras)
52 (dependency required by "gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3" [ebuild])
53 (dependency required by "gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0" [ebuild])
54 (dependency required by "gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.3" [ebuild])
55 (dependency required by "gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.3" [ebuild])
56 (dependency required by "net-libs/xulrunner-1.9.2.3-r1" [ebuild])
57 (dependency required by "www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.6.3" [ebuild])
58 (dependency required by "@world" [argument])
59
60 cruncher ~ #
61
62 Will there be a lot of this before I execute the emerge? I know udev
63 is pretty special.
64
65 - Mark