From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to unstable
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:43:38
1 On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:36:37 +0200, Damian wrote:
2
3 > The reason for doing so is that what is considered as unstable as been
4 > regarded as stable releases for the developers, and the truth is that
5 > the problems I got for using outdated software were more that the ones I
6 > had for using unstable versions.
7
8 That's because what you describe as unstable has nothing to do with
9 stability of the software. ~arch is testing ebuilds, they are unstable in
10 that they change more often, but as you say, the upstream software is
11 considered fit for use.
12
13 > Thus, I'm thinking about switching all of my system to the unstable
14 > branch. But first I want to be sure that this is reasonable given the
15 > problems I described before.
16 >
17 > Can you provide me some useful advice according to your experience?
18
19 Switching to testing is as easy as changing ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf
20 and doing emerge -uaDN @world. Switching back is less easy, but if this
21 is what you want to do, then go for it. I have run testing for years,
22 with far less problems than some people running mixed arch systems.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 CPU: (n.) acronym for Central Purging Unit. A device which discards or
29 distorts data sent to it, sometimes returning more data and sometimes
30 merely over-heating.