From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Continued Xorg crashes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:42:59
1 On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> This started as part of Michael's thread about Myth crashing.
5 >> mythfrontend is segfaulting for me also, but my problem has spread to
6 >> pretty much any application that tries to display video - mplayer,
7 >> xine and Myth all crash with similar errors. Only xine doesn't crash X
8 >> completely and leaves behind anything in terms of clues.
9 >
10 > It looks like maybe a problem with xv overlays. You can try using a
11 > different output driver than xv. Also, try adding AccelMethod to your
12 > device section in xorg.conf if you don't have it:
13 >
14 > Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
15 >
16 > If that doesn't help, maybe try EXA instead of XAA.
17 >
18 > Also, if you're using anything like compiz of KDE4 desktop effects,
19 > try turning it off.
20
21 Right now I don't have an xorg.conf file as the new xorg upgrade guide
22 encourages you to dump it. I'm not overly comfortable with that and
23 will likely try creating a new xorg or using my old one later. I'll
24 try your idea as soon as I get to that.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Mark