From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modifying iptables: how can I prevent locking me out?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:17:34
1 On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM, kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 1/24/2011 10:59 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Jarry<mr.jarry@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> I have to change rather complex iptables rules on server
9 >>> and I do not want to lock me out as this server is about
10 >>> 50 miles away. So how should I do it?
11 >>>
12 >>> I can back up the old rules by running:
13 >>> /etc/init.d/iptables save
14 >>> and it will be saved to /var/lib/iptables/rules-save
15 >>> (some strange format starting with number like [536:119208])
16 >>>
17 >>> I prepared a script with new (modified) iptables-rules,
18 >>> which I will run in bash. But in case I screw something,
19 >>> how could I force netfilter to load old saved rules,
20 >>> if I for whatever reason do not connect to server (ssh)?
21 >>>
22 >>> Or can I load new iptables-rules for certain time, and
23 >>> then force netfilter to load back the old rules again?
24 >>>
25 >>> Jarry
26 >>>
27 >>
28 >> Maybe a cron job that no matter what reloads the old rules 1 hour later?
29 >>
30 >> - Mark
33 > Yep, that's the way I do it. I'd test that the cron works correctly
34 > beforehand. Nothing worse than locking yourself out *and* realizing your
35 > cron has a path issue.
36 >
37 > kashani
38
39 Maybe first add a rule that won't lock yourself out. Install the new
40 file, make sure the rule is there, then wait an hour. Make sure the
41 rule is gone. Make sure the cron logs show the work was done. Go
42 through a could of reboots and make sure the old rules (or new rules)
43 come up.
44
45 Once all that works going to the new, scary file should be lass scary.
46
47 - Mark