From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modifying iptables: how can I prevent locking me out?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:07:32
1 On 1/24/2011 10:59 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Jarry<mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I have to change rather complex iptables rules on server
6 >> and I do not want to lock me out as this server is about
7 >> 50 miles away. So how should I do it?
8 >>
9 >> I can back up the old rules by running:
10 >> /etc/init.d/iptables save
11 >> and it will be saved to /var/lib/iptables/rules-save
12 >> (some strange format starting with number like [536:119208])
13 >>
14 >> I prepared a script with new (modified) iptables-rules,
15 >> which I will run in bash. But in case I screw something,
16 >> how could I force netfilter to load old saved rules,
17 >> if I for whatever reason do not connect to server (ssh)?
18 >>
19 >> Or can I load new iptables-rules for certain time, and
20 >> then force netfilter to load back the old rules again?
21 >>
22 >> Jarry
25 > Maybe a cron job that no matter what reloads the old rules 1 hour later?
26 >
27 > - Mark
30 Yep, that's the way I do it. I'd test that the cron works correctly
31 beforehand. Nothing worse than locking yourself out *and* realizing your
32 cron has a path issue.
33
34 kashani