From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:15:23
1 On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 22:53 -0700, Darren Kirby wrote:
2 > Quoth the Alexander Skwar
3 > > · maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>:
4 > > >>digg2ogg
5 > > >
6 > > > should be dir2ogg
7 > >
8 > > 0.8 is the latest stable version. Why do you think, that a different
9 > > version should be offered, when you "emerge dir2ogg"?
10 >
11 > Well, I'm the upstream author, and _I_ think there should be different (ie:
12 > newer) version offered. Good enough?
13
14 Can't argue with that *lol* can I call you UPSTREAM? ;)
15
16 This is what I do in cases like this (not aimed at UPSTREAM, but for
17 anyone's reference :)
18
19 1. look in /usr/portage to see if newer ebuild exists.
20 - if it does, find out whether it's in ~x86, or hard masked, and
21 decide if I want to explicitly unmask it (usually I do).
22
23 2. if no ebuild exists, check bugs.gentoo.org and see if anyone has
24 requested it / submitted an ebuild that I can put in my overlay.
25
26 3. if not, I look at the app's homepage and see if I really want / need
27 the latest features, and if so I submit a version bump request on
28 bugs.gentoo.org, providing as much help in the testing process as I can.
29
30 4. if it's a very popular app, like gnome, then I look for unofficial
31 ebuilds and put them in my overlay.
32
33 If you try any of these options (unmask, overlay, or unofficial ebuild),
34 then be prepared for issues / bugs. But that's what the game is all
35 about :)
36
37 HTH,
41 In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is;
42 you're what's left.
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list